Either of these templates will help you mark your fabric to make half square triangles (and quarter square triangles) easily and quickly. Each template allows you to mark your "sewing" (solid) lines and "cutting" (dashed) lines. All of the lines will be drawn accurately at the same time before sewing and cutting.
Each of these Half (Quarter) Square Block Templates (shown above) are made from 1/8" thick clear acrylic that clearly indicates 1/4" reference lines and are currently available in 3 additional sizes, with the following sizes cut upon request:
1. 6 3/4" square for up to 6" fabric squares;
2. 8 3/4" square for up to 8" fabric squares; and
3. 12 3/4" square for up to 12" fabric squares.
Indicated in the pictures are two (2) types of templates:
1. for sewers that prefer to sew their 1/4" line ADJACENT from the centre line (template with brown protection paper not removed); and
2. for sewers that prefer to sew their 1/4" line ON the line (template with brown protection paper removed).
Follow the steps:
1. cut your squares to the required size;
2. with RST, align fabric corners to the square corners on the template on all 4 sides;
3. draw all lines with your favorite marking tool;
4. take fabric to your sewing machine and sew on either adjacent from the centre line or on the lines;
5. using your favorite ruler, cut the fabric using the top & bottom dashed lines, rotate block & repeat for diagonal dashed lines; and
6. unfold, iron and trim off dog ears.
For quarter square triangle blocks:
7. align fabric pieces by placing half square triangle blocks RST and aligning fabric corners to the square corners on the template edges
on all four (4) sides;
8. repeat above steps.